Do you have problems with productivity? A well-organized workplace is one of the main factors affecting people’s efficiency. Its optimization can significantly advance your capabilities and overall performance. Discover how easy it is to boost it!
High productivity is the target objective for any employee. One of the best ways to improve it is to restructure the setting of your office. Thus, you will get a perfect place, allowing you to carry out operations easily.
What are the 4 Essential Components of Productivity?
Penny Zenker, a productivity expert, distinguishes four elements affecting efficiency in her book The Productivity Zone:
- Focus (directness of attention);
- Language (constructiveness of self-talk);
- Purpose (identification of the goal/key objectives);
- Physiology (provision of a healthy environment for your body).
How Does Office Layout Affect Productivity?
Office design significantly affects productivity. An elaborated workplace makes it easier for people to solve complicated tasks, work more effectively and quickly. It also positively impacts their health, engagement, and wellbeing.
Main aspects of office design:
- Ergonomics. Its key objective is the improvement of the employee’s health condition and reduction of health-related risks, fatigue, and strain. The desk setups of low quality negatively influence hands, wrists, joints, and backs. Thus, you must buy or build your own desk with consideration of all individual parameters.
- Design of environment. The quality of lighting, air ventilation, temperature, heating, and the level of noise should bring no harm to your health and wellbeing.
- Personal workspace condition. A chaotically-arranged workspace makes it hard to find the required tools, documents, etc. Moreover, it wastes valuable minutes.
- Type of workspace. Each employee should have enough space to work individually. Workspaces separated by dividers hinder communication between people within the office.
How Can I Make My Workspace More Productive?
The workplace must contribute to emotional, physical, and cognitive well-being. It makes you more productive, innovative, and creative.
15 ways to improve the workplace:
- Keep most frequently used items close by;
- Arrange the documents in a system of folders;
- Remove or recycle the documents and items you no longer use;
- Use a laptop/screen support to position the monitor in the mode, enabling the adoption of the best possible seated position;
- Keep your feet on a footrest or the floor;
- Use rests for the mouse and keyboard;
- Use natural light or natural light bulbs;
- Customize your workspace with inspiring decoration, pictures, and items;
- Place the top of the monitor below or at eye-level;
- Your eyes should be 24-36 inches from the monitor;
- Bring in nature for air filtering;
- Always mind your posture;
- Use scents (citrus, peppermint, cinnamon, pine, and lavender);
- Choose an adjustable chair or add some pillows to add comfort to your back;
- Keep your workspace clean.
People spend more time working than sleeping. Thus, it is highly important to feel comfortable in the place where you spend most of your day. The work you do might be not always pleasant, but the workplace environment will make it more enjoyable.
Hayley Mann is a technology enthusiast specializing in automation methods of ergonomics devices. Her engineering background helps her to create interesting articles on technical topics, making them understandable for all readers.